Saturday, December 12, 2015

Love is Always the Answer

Hey family! I hope you guys are doing well this week (especially you Grandpa O!).
This week was a pretty good one for us! Of course there was highs and lows but I'm trying to focus on the highs :)

So the biggest frustration right now is parents interfering with their children's progression. We have two kids right now who really want to get baptized. One is J, the 12 year old I talked about last week, and the other is N, a 14 year old girl whose parents are both non-members. Their parents just don't think that they are ready to make a life-changing commitment at this stage in their lives. The hard part is I know where these parents are coming from. Baptism is a really big commitment! When we're baptized we promise our Heavenly Father that we will strive to keep His commandments for the rest of our lives. It is a really big deal BUT we are also taught that 8 years old is the age of accountability, where children are ready to make an informed decision about being baptized. 

Often, these parents think that their children are too impressionable and can be persuaded too easily and can't make this decision on their own. Something that I remember my mom telling me growing up was that she admired children because they are so faithful and willing to be taught. In Matthew, Christ teaches that we must "become as little children" and "humble [ourselves]". As I have taught children and teenagers on my mission, I have witnessed how true this really is. In my opinion, children are very close to God and are better able to recognize the Spirit. 

I have had so many great experiences with the kids I'm teaching but its frustrating because they want to progress and take the next step in their conversion process, but they can't. Its hard too when their parents are not in the lessons and don't know what we are teaching their kids. If we could get the parents involved, I think we would have a lot more success. 

So that was the low of the week. 

The high was yesterday :)

C and K and their four kids came to church! It was probably the best testimony meeting I've ever been in. Kate was really worried about being judged. She grew up in Idaho and dealt with judgey, fake Mormon kids her whole life. The ward that they attend is thankfully one of the most diverse wards in the stake, filled with members who are honest about the trials and shortcomings they have. There are people covered in tattoos, people working to overcome addictions, and women who wear pants to church. Every testimony borne yesterday was so perfect for K and C. They were all about how we shouldn't judge others and how the gospel can bless our lives whether we are the most righteous person or someone who struggles to keep commandments. 

One guy got up and talked about how we are all on a ladder, leading us back to our Heavenly Father. It doesn't matter how far up we are on the ladder, as long as we are climbing. This was great for K and C. Its hard for them because they feel like they are so far from being the kind of people they want to be. But all that matters is that they are progressing. They're moving up the ladder. 

I love their family so freakin' much. Being on a mission is just the coolest thing because you come to love people that you would normally never interact with. I have also learned from them that you really can't judge a book by its cover. Both of them are covered in tattoos and piercings and to be honest, when I first met them I didn't think they would ever be receptive to the gospel. I thought they were probably drug addicts who couldn't care less about anything spiritual. I can't believe how wrong I was. They are some of the best people I have ever met. 

This week I have been focusing on love. When it comes down to it love is all that really matters. Love should be the motive for everything we do and if it is, everything will work out and we will be a lot happier. 

Speaking of love, I love all of you and the support and letters I get from you. I have the best family and friends in the world!

Remember to LOVE this week :)

Until next time,
Sister Park

Pic included: Cutest dog on the planet (besides Ace of course) & cutest missionary :)
 Mother and Daughter Reunited!
 Three Generations!





 


No comments:

Post a Comment