Monday, November 30, 2015

Hello everyone!

Wow I can't believe November is coming to a close! Time really goes so fast. We've got to cherish every minute we've got. 

This week was pretty good! Sister Bueno and I are getting more comfortable with each other and we have a lot of fun together :) 

It was weird being away from home on Thanksgiving but luckily we have great members who took us in and really made us feel at home. We also got to have a game night with our zone on Thanksgiving which was so fun! I seriously love the other missionaries so much and they have become my family. 

We set a baptism date with Jason! Jason is a 12 year old kid whose parents are both inactive members of the church. He started taking lessons from us about a month ago at the bishop's home once a week. The bishop's family has really taken him under their wing. He has a really crazy home life. Both parents have substance abuse problems and they have a really explosive relationship. I think being a part of the church will help him gain some stability and help him to recognize that he is never alone. He has permission from his dad, but we are just waiting on the mom. She seems a little more hesitant but we are praying that she will give the okay. 

We are still teaching Chuck and Kate's family. We were disappointed because they promised they would come to church and then they bailed. We gave them addiction recovery manuals though and they read the first chapter. They seem really committed to quitting smoking and we are bringing them some lollipops and Reese's today to help distract from their cravings. We also told them we could help with Christmas for their kids. They are in such a tough spot financially and they told us that without us, Santa would have to pass them by this year. The kids all wrote wish lists for Santa and they are so cute! Libby, their ten year old wrote a list of some presents she wanted and then the last thing she listed was for her mom to have the good Christmas she deserves. Libby will seriously melt any one's heart. 

We are still visiting Rusty and Leesa. It hasn't quite been the same though since Sister Latu left, which makes me really sad. Rusty used to get involved in the lessons and now he has just retreated to his bedroom. We aren't giving up on them though! 

We have zone conference this week and I'm so excited! Its the Christmas conference which means there will be a slideshow, presents, and a talent show. Our district is singing a song together. Yes, I am singing for the talent show.. I don't know how I got roped into that one. But we are doing a spoof on "All I Want for Christmas is You" and we are singing "All I Want for Christmas are Baptisms". Hopefully it turns out okay. None of us can actually sing so it might be interesting... 

I'm so excited for the Christmas season. This Christmas will be a lot different than any I have had before. I think it will be a lot more focused on the actual reason for Christmas. If you haven't seen the new "A Savior is Born" video on christmas.mormon.org, GO WATCH IT. It shows people from all over the world telling the story of Christ's birth and why its relevant to us. I wish we had iPads so we could show it to all of our investigators but I guess they'll have to look it up on their own :) 

I am so grateful that a Savior was born and that He lives today. It is only through Him that all the wrongs in our world can be made right.

I love you all and hope you have a great holiday season!

Until next time,

Sister Park

Pictures 1: We helped out at a turkey run on Thanksgiving. We just about froze to death. Why anyone would run in that weather I have no clue. 
 
Pic 2: My boots after standing in the snow for three hours. I quickly discovered that they are not waterproof and my feet were soaking wet. 

Pic 3: A member gave us some adult coloring pages on Thanksgiving. Since we weren't allowed to proselyte that day we spent like 2 hours just coloring.




No comments:

Post a Comment