Monday, November 2, 2015

Love and Forgiveness

Malo lelei everyone! (That is hello in Tongan) 

So life is good here in the Gem State. It is FREEZING! I'm told this isn't even bad yet but I am sooo cold! So we will see if I make it through winter alive. 

Also disclaimer: transfer calls won't come until this Thursday :( So I still have no idea if I'm staying or going or if I will get a new companion. 

We set a baptismal date with Brittany this week! Brittany is so great and she really wants to get baptized. Her parents are super hesitant though. We don't really know whats holding them back but we are praying that they will let her be baptized. 

So I learned a lot about myself and about the atonement this week. 

Sister Latu and I have gotten along great for the whole time I've been here but this week we hit a little rough patch. We were at a district meeting and everything was fine and then on the way home Sister Latu just shut down. She wouldn't answer any of my questions and was giving me the silent treatment.

I figured she was just tired or something so I didn't bother her. Then on the way to our next appointment Sister Latu just starts crying. Like a lot. I kept asking her what was wrong and she was completely ignoring me. She never told me what was wrong and we just had to go into our lesson. We were super busy that day and we never had a chance to talk about it. 

The next three days were rough. Sister Latu still wasn't talking to me much and I didn't know what to do. When your companion doesn't talk to you you can't help but feel really alone. Anyways this went on for what felt like forever. Then we had companionship inventory, which is where you talk about issues your companionship is having and stuff.

So I was super up front and was like "WHAT IS GOING ON?!" Sister Latu started tearing up again and she told me that I had really hurt her feelings at district meeting. We had been practicing teaching with the other sisters and I called Sister Latu a weirdo. I was completely kidding but Sister Latu didn't know that and it really embarrassed her. 

So I felt terrible. Luckily Sister Latu forgave me and we are back to loving each other again :) 

This experience taught me a lot. I can't imagine how many times I've offended someone or hurt someone's feelings without even realizing it. I make so many mistakes and I am so insensitive sometimes. We all are. Thankfully though we have the atonement. Christ's atonement makes repentance possible for us. It is only through him that we can leave our past selves behind and resolve to be better. And luckily we can't run out of second chances. 

So moral of this letter: No one is perfect. We all mess up (whether intentionally or not) and we all need the atonement. I know my Savior loves me regardless of the stupid decisions and mistakes I make.

'Ofa lahi atu! (I love you all so much)

Sister Park








No comments:

Post a Comment